Thursday, September 16, 2010

Indie Next Pick, NYT Bestseller, Rave Reviews for...

by William Kent Krueger (Atria, 9781439153840). 


"William Kent Krueger's mystery series featuring Cork O'Connor just keeps getting better with each installment. In the latest, Cork is asked to investigate a disappearance and what he uncovers leads to cold cases on the Ojibwe reservation as well as forgotten things from Cork's own past. Wonderful characters, twists and turns, and enough action to keep you going."
Sue Richardson, Maine Coast Book Shop, Inc., Damariscotta, Maine


A Note From Kent!

And I Say to Myself, It’s A Wonderful World
I’d like to share with you the good news: Vermilion Drift just hit the New York Times bestseller list.  It’s the first of my novels to reach that milepost. For any author, figuring out how to get your work into the hands of readers is, after writing the book, the most difficult challenge you’ll face.  I’ve tried over the dozen years since I first broke into this business to understand what easy route there might be.  The answer is that there is none.  Like all good things, recognition comes with effort and patient consistency and an unadulterated love of the journey itself.  Fame and fortune are, for the most part, beyond our control.  The only control we have is to write the best books we can and do everything possible to make readers aware of them.  Sometimes our publishers help in this effort; more often they do not.
I’ve been fortunate.  I have an editor whom I love and a publisher who is in my corner.  Atria Books has helped underwrite my promotional tours. They’ve done store co-op and, recently, begun to mount special campaigns.  But even all this is no guarantee of an author’s success.  I have a friend in this business who believes that it’s like a cosmic crap game and sometimes your number comes up and when it does, it’s just sheer luck.  Maybe so.  And if so, I can’t help thinking that with Vermilion Drift, I’ve finally rolled a seven.
 I hope you read the book.  I hope you like it.  And I would love to hear from you. 
—Kent


Since I've been at The Pen, Kent has come to see us three times and we are very happy to see him getting the attention he well deserves. Please come down and see him on the 23 of this month, 7pm, or order a copy of Vermilion Drift, http://www.poisonedpen.com/products/hfiction/9781439153840

No comments:

Post a Comment